I spent the weekend at my mom's. Sometimes, when I do that, I feel like I'm running away. Maybe I am, but there's something really relaxing about loading up the car, plugging in my iPod and making the drive north at 75mph, temporarily leaving all of the troubles in my wake.
When I open the door, I breathe a sigh of relief. A weekend away always brings peace and clarity and a positive attitude. A couple of goodies (like some super sweet hot pink, purple and orange Nikes and a trip to Williams-Sonoma and Vera Bradley), extra sleep, and lots a yummy food helps, of course...
Usually, I return to complete chaos. It isn't abnormal to find an exhausted husband, restless kids and at least one sink full of dishes. But yesterday, I came home to find that our bedroom had been cleaned and totally rearranged and my bathroom had been painted. It took a little while to get comfortable in my "new digs," but I'm definitely loving the changes he made. Just a few finishing touches (he seems to think this could at some point include a new flat screen mounted to the wall, which...ha!) and it'll be perfect.
Anyway. Enough about my entertaining life...
Tuesday Ten time!
1. I guess there was some kind of inauguration or something yesterday. Meh.
2. My son is now talking to girls on FaceTime. Is this the new calling a boy fifty times a day?
3. Also. Where are their mothers?
4. Killing people with kindness works. Trust me. It is almost impossible to hate someone who is nice to you, no matter how much you strongly dislike them.
5. I'm ashamed to admit that I'm now picking up on some of the really bad behaviors my children have developed now that I'm not spending so much time online. I am completely disappointed in myself and my parenting abilities (or, lack thereof, clearly).
6. Reese: "I had to eat my tomatoes right now because they were getting too sploochy." My new favorite word.
7. I downloaded a whole bunch of 90's country songs to put on my iPod. And I fell in love with it all over again. Shenandoah, George Strait, Neil McCoy. Doesn't get much better than driving through the heart of Texas listening to Diamond Rio.
8. Last week, I made Mr. BFG a breakfast of bacon, sausage, spinach, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and bell peppers all scrambled with some eggs. Great Caesar's Ghost! Amazing.
9. The upside to less time online is that I've had a ton of opportunity to read. The downside is that I guess I'm swapping one addiction for another. Although, one could argue that reading at least helps your brain. The internet basically turns it into mush (I'm on to your plan Al Gore!).
10. Have I mentioned that I'm not really such a big fan of the 11-13 age range right now?