Every year when I sit down to write this thing, I always find myself marveling at how quickly it has gone by. I think I may have said that last year. In fact, I know I did...because isn't that how these kinds of posts always begin?
I haven't decided how I feel about 2012 quite yet. The world didn't end like those crazy Mayan's predicted, so I guess that makes it a stellar year all in all. Admittedly a small part of me hoped that it would, only so we wouldn't have to endure another four years of horrible leadership by our elected group of dodo's. But, like Mick Jagger sung, "you can't always get what you want."
So really, it's been a good year for our crazy bunch. We made it a full calendar year without a trip to the emergency room. That alone makes it eleventy thousand times better than the last five years. The boys are finally past the Daredevil phase and have now entered the This Could Possibly Be A Bad Idea So Let's Ask Mom First stage.
On the other hand, they did just get bunk beds and there are plenty of hours left before 2013 arrives. So, maybe we shouldn't breathe that sigh of relief just yet.
The boys all started school this year. Andrew is in 7th grade, Blake started kindergarten and the twins are in preschool three days a week. It has given me a much needed break from full-time motherhood but at the same time, it's been a little difficult trying to fill the time that they're gone.
I went back to work for the first time since Andrew was born. It lasted all of six weeks. And though I have been reluctant to share the details, I admit that it was a good experience that prepared me for the horrors of the working world when I decide to dip my toes in the water again.
I've lost 80lbs (a little over 50lbs this year), though I did manage to gain back ten over Christmas. But, c'est la vie. I can always lose it again. I have chosen to be more flexible this time, taking it day by day rather than beating myself up for the bad days. It is a huge accomplishment, I feel terrific and I look better than I have in years. That's good enough for me.
Jonathan traveled to Saudi Arabia this month. It was thankfully a much shorter trip than we initially expected and even though the distance was tough, I think it was good for all of us. It was a good opportunity for him and I hope that it will open other doors in the near future.
As good as things have been, 2012 has also been tinged with sadness. There has been a lot of loss this year among family and friends and it sometimes seemed as if the bad news would never stop coming. Through these difficult times, we have all learned to hold each other a little tighter and to cherish one another deeply. It has taught us the value of relationships and shown us that life is much too short to worry about the little things.
And so, before I close, my wishes for you in 2013:
1. First and foremost, peace...joy...love...hope. Because if you don't start with those, I think it's hard to enjoy just about anything in life.
2. I hope that you have the experiences of true love and friendship and that you are willing to overlook and overcome the troubles that they can bring.
3. I wish you laughter. Lots and lots of it.
4. A new and fun website that will completely suck up all of your time. Much like Pinterest did for most of us this year.
5. Lower gas prices, a significant drop in food prices, no fiscal cliff, and enough alcohol to overcome the inevitable increase in your taxes and insurance premiums.
6. Good health.
7. I wish you good luck.
8. Time. Because I think that in the end, we will all wish we had more of it.
10. And finally, a break in the bombardment of post-Christmas sale ads and endless stream of new technology. Because, I see no point in buying an iPhone 5 when the iPhone 16 is only a mere two years away. Might as well start saving up for it right now....
Happy New Year, friends!